Introducing a new way to pay for the whole FutureLearn catalog. With one payment access hundreds of courses for a year.

The company was at a very high growth stage with steep targets. To reach these targets we made a big bet on introducing a revenue stream by allowing our users to pay for multiple products. We had to figure out how many products, for what duration and which audiences are we going to target. We also had to make sure we are not cannibalizing our existing freemium model.

I worked with a product manager and other designer to kick off the project with a design sprint to define multiple concepts, then used research to validate our decisions. We sliced our MVP concept working with marketing and product to decide different versions of the product to create staggered delivery. We iterated as we were building to make sure we were on the right track.

In four months we built a new way to pay for all of the FutureLearn courses, with one payment you can access hundreds of courses for a year. The offer instantly created new audiences and improved revenue outlook without cannibalizing existing paid products.


Design sprint

We decided it was best to kick off this project with a design sprint as we had limited time and a pretty big challenge. I helped to plan and lead the design sprint which included, big thinking exercises, competitor overview, user behaviour analysis and story mapping. User behaviour analysis exercise involved me stepping up and analysing a survey we sent out just before the design sprint as the user research team was under pressure with different priorities.


Testing the concepts

The design sprint produced two tangible concepts that we all the stakeholders involved were aligned with. We then tested these concepts in a face to face interview scenario, which included discussing overall interest and buying behaviours of participants. From what we discovered we made a decision to create one concept that would encompass best aspects of the initial two offers.


Initial designs

The design work started by facilitating another story mapping session with the product team. We looked at the holistic experience of this new offer and sliced it accordingly to the different versions we would like to deliver this project in. I then created detailed user flows for all the sections of the story map, working with marketing and product teams we discussed the flows and further iterated on the concept.


Managing the project

As this project was pretty big relative to the team size, I created a delivery board to help manage the project and have an overall overview. This delivery board also helped to align different disciplines and proven to be a useful communication tool to involved and update stakeholders.


Brand and messaging

After spending a good amount of time working on the initial designs, use cases and detailed flows we decided to conduct remote user testing to the clarity of what we are offering and our branding/marketing messaging. After testing different naming options, accidentally I named the offer 'Unlimited' during a conversation with one of the stakeholders (things stick).


Building the Unlimited concept

Having refined designs further, aligning with the design team, we started building the Unlimited offer. It was time to validate some of our thinking - discovery, purchasing and other aspects of the experience were ready on the staging environment, so we invited some people for face to face interviews to take them through the initial journey. This was a product designer led research session (something we decided to trial), meaning it involved me writing the discussion guide, preparing the lab and all the other lovely admin task - however it was a great learning experience, especially running a multiple device session.


Tracking and measuring success

The new Unlimited offer was finally launched, which performed better than expected - however, it did mean that we needed to track the success of this offer. Whilst the product manager worked on revenue and purchasing reporting, I worked with data scientist and analyst to set up tracking for purchasing journeys. These journeys were used to inform our UX metrics - something I initiated as a side project in the company to increase visibility and demonstrate the success of the team, can read more about it in this blog post here. As part of UX metrics, we also sent out a post-purchase survey to track and benchmark the appeal of the Unlimited offer.

image last

Final thoughts

On reflection this was an amazing project to work on and I'm extremely proud of it. I have learned a lot - from delivery management experience, leading research session, working out really complex flow to aligning different disciplines across the company.

You made it :)
2022 © Benas Skripka